Should You See an Audiologist or an ENT Doctor?


Should you see an audiologist or an ENT doctor for your hearing issue? There are definite differences between the two professions, and your treatment will depend on your condition and even what's causing it. Here's how to determine whom you should contact and what services they can provide.

When to See an ENT Doctor

ENT doctors specialize in problems affecting the ears, nose, and throat. ENT doctors are also licensed surgeons and can treat conditions of the head and neck area. Otolaryngologists are highly-skilled practitioners who diagnose and treat a wide variety of conditions. Some of the issues they routinely address for their patients include:

  • Ear infections
  • Sinus infections
  • Tinnitus
  • Tonsillitis
  • Facial trauma
  • Cancers in the mouth or throat
  • Eardrum injuries
  • Voice or larynx conditions
  • Thyroid diseases
  • Sleep apnea
  • Swallowing disorders
  • Allergies
  • Hearing conditions caused by injuries, infections, or other issues
  • Sinus headaches
  • Balance disorders

When to See an Audiologist

Hearing loss may be caused by a variety of conditions which may have a bearing on which type of specialist you'll need to see. Your family practitioner can give you a referral to the best provider for your unique situation.

An audiologist is different from an ENT doctor. An audiologist specializes in hearing loss and can conduct tests to ascertain the extent of your condition and what is causing it. If no medical condition has prompted your hearing loss, you will want to see an audiologist rather than an ENT doctor. An audiologist can diagnose both age-related hearing loss and hearing loss that occurs slowly over time.

Audiologists are trained to diagnose and treat hearing loss and can help you get on the path to better hearing. If you are experiencing hearing loss, get in touch with us at Southwest Idaho Ear Nose and Throat for a consultation with an experienced audiologist today.