The holidays are full of social gatherings. Most people have things like work parties, family dinners, and trips with friends to see The Boise Christmas Show. While these events are all wonderful things to look forward to, they can also be stressful. This is especially true if you have hearing loss and are worried about your ability to effectively socialize with others. Let’s examine a few of the ways you can hear better this holiday season.
There is no need to be embarrassed about asking people for help so that you can better understand them. A few things you could do if you run into trouble include:
- Ask for any clarification or for someone to rephrase something they said if you didn’t catch it the first time.
- Let the people you are celebrating with know that it can be a bit harder for you to hear.
- If you are in a larger group, and there is a particular person you most want to talk with, try to sit or stand as close to them as possible.
- If you get lost, ask someone near you what the topic of conversation is so that you can join in if you desire.
- Ask the person you are talking with to face you and avoid covering their face. This makes it easier for you to practice your lip-reading skills. While lip reading isn’t always precise, it can be a helpful skill to develop that lets you take a more active role in conversations.
Treating Hearing Loss with Hearing Aids
The best way to make communication easier with hearing loss is to treat the problem. Most times this involves being evaluated by an audiologist and getting hearing aids. Hearing aids have numerous benefits, with users reporting better relationships and more confidence in social situations than those with untreated hearing loss.
Hearing aids can help you appreciate the sounds of the holiday season, from dinner conversations with friends and family to listening to your favorite carols by the fire. If you already have hearing aids, make sure to bring them with you to any holiday event. If your hearing loss is currently untreated, consider making an appointment with an audiologist so that you welcome the new year with better hearing and a renewed ability to connect with the world around you.
To learn more about hearing loss or to schedule an appointment with an audiologist, call Southwest Idaho ENT today.